Thursday, June 16, 2011

Dad comes home, everyone riots…oh, and, Go Bears!

My dad made it to Korea on Wednesday. He wasn’t originally suppose to come, but he was needed for some of the business we had to take care of here in Korea, so he hopped on a plane and now the Han clan is complete!

We said hello to our father and then I went with my mom to visit my grandfather’s (on mom’s side) grave located in Yoong-ing (용인, 용인 천주교회 공원 묘지). I was particularly close with this grandfather, who passed away when I was 11. He LOVED classical music and the arts. I remember he came and visited our family in the US right when we got there and he bought more than $1000 worth of classical cassette tapes and listened to them ALL non-stop in the span of couple of days. I think he would’ve really liked what I am doing in life my now. Unfortunately, because I started my music studies after I came to the US, he never got to see any of it, but I still think about him when I’m practicing or performing. It was another afternoon of tears and memories, but definitely another important highlight.

My grandfathers cemetery

Planting some flowers for my grandfather with my uncle (technically, my mother's cousin)


Starting from the bottom, my Great-great grandfather, my great grandfather, my grandfather/grandmother, and my great uncles

As you can see, the traditional Korean grave is a lot different than the European/American grave.
This is our grandfather's tomb, I was surprised to see that me and my brother are on this tomb - listed as his grandchildren. My name 수호, is listed as the last set of characters on the very bottom-right (my brother right next to me)

It is also costume that when we visit our elders we do some weeding and clean up the tomb. Sometimes people also pour Korean wine on the tomb as a symbol of serving the elder a drink. Instead of alcohol, mother wished she had some coffee to serve our grandfather because he loved coffee - I think this is where I get my coffee addiction

When we returned home, we were greeted with an angry mob of street demonstrators (Koreans call it Dae-Mo, 대모). Street demonstrations are regular occurrences in Korea…what can I say, we Koreans are passionate people :) I would like to participate in one so that I go home having experienced the FULL Korean experience :) I don’t particularly care about the cause, just the experience!

PROTEST!! My Korean has gotten very weak, but I THINK what they're protesting is handicap people (blind people) looking for more rights and social services...I may be TOTALLY off...

Thursday morning began with our family visiting BeeWon (비원), another one of the Korean king’s palace. Our Korean apartment is literally RIGHT in front of this palace. We then went back to a restaurant that we visited last week to have more Jampong (짬뽕) and Jajangmuen (짜짱면) and then just chilled out at a bookstore in Lotte Mall (one of the biggest and famous malls in Seoul).

Tour guide inside BeeWon

King's bedroom

King's greeting place




Dad and brother inside BeeWon

Family at BeeWon entrance gate

In front of my new favorite place for JamPong and JajangMeun!

About to do what we do best...eat

My brother and I went our separate way and went to a ball game, DooSan Bears (두산 베어스) VS the Twins (didn’t pay attention to see their home city). Doosan Bears were the home team so we sat with on the home side and had a great time. The baseball spectator scene here in Korea is NOTHING like the US. First, you are allowed to bring in WHATEVER you want to bring into the ballpark. Koreans, loving their food, brought in with them coolers full of rice, noodles, snacks, lettuce wraps, meats, and of course, lots to drink :) Koreans also love their chants either be it at a riot or at a ball game. There was constant chanting, flag waving, and drunken screaming. A GREAT time!

Bear's mascot

Ji with the Bear

Korean ballpark food...my brother and I were very modest with our food consumption compared to everyone else

Enjoying $3 beer at the ball park! Tickets were also only $12! Going to sporting events are not crazy expensive like in the US

Crazy fans chanting

2 comments:

  1. Loved this posting. It was rich with love and emotion. I'm so glad your father HAD to come.

    I remember meeting your grandfather. He was a very kind and gentle man. I remember he drank hot water. You were blessed to have spent time with him when you were 11. That visit had a powerful impact on who you are.

    On a selfish note, I wish I could taste half of what you are eating.

    Enjoy and tell your family I said hi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO glad you remember him Mrs. Cox! I was thinking about you writing this blog because I remember you met him, but wasn't sure if you would remember! GREAT memory Mrs. Cox! Thanks for humoring me and reading!

    ReplyDelete